Here’s a sweet change for your breakfast routine. This is a Superfood Specialty that is easy to make and sooooo good for you.
Since I’m traveling in Buenos Aires at the moment, and now that I’m vegan and an active fitness model I don’t do the typical desayuna which includes cafe con leche y media lunas (sweet croissants and coffee with milk). I went to go visit Juana, who is like my Argentine family here, but she prepared me something special but I had to come prepared to feed myself too because I know what a typical breakfast here usually includes. She didn’t do media lunas actually, she had fruit and cheese and bread which I still don’t really do, the fruit (she made a freshly mixed banana orange smoothie) which I don’t do because I have a phobia of Fruit. I am seriously the weirdest vegan that ever existed. I’m getting over that slowly, I did have a few sips as I continue to face my fears and push my own personal limits.
So I did bring chia seed pudding that we shared and she loved. She told me after she had tons of energy so it goes to show, breakfast is the most important meal of the day as it sets your metabolism so it’s better to fill up on fibre and protein and natural sugars than refined carbs and things that don’t serve you. This is such an easy recipe and here in Buenos Aires, chia seeds are surprisingly cheap. So eat them up! They’re good for you and your body will thank you.
- A 1 ounce (28 grams) serving of chia seeds contains (1, 2): (info taken from Authority Nutrition)
- Fiber: 11 grams.
- Protein: 4 grams.
- Fat: 9 grams (5 of which are Omega-3s).
- Calcium: 18% of the RDA.
- Manganese: 30% of the RDA.
- Magnesium: 30% of the RDA.
- Phosphorus: 27% of the RDA.
- They also contain a decent amount of Zinc, Vitamin B3 (Niacin), Potassium, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) and Vitamin B2.
Chia Seed Pudding:
Please note I’m travelling and don’t have exact measurements so I eyeball a lot and guestimate. Use your own judgement and prepare to your gusto)
- 250 g of chia seeds
- 3-4 cups of almond milk (I used soy bc I couldn”t find almond milk)
- 5 drops Vanilla essential oil
- 2-3 packets of stevia
- shaved coconut (optional)
- Mix ingredients in a bowl
- Stir well and put in fridge for at 20 min.
In good health,