One of my favourite memories about my visit in Paris was sitting on a patio with my friend who was travelling with me and we were sipping on a glass of white French wine, when two guys at the next table began to chat with us. We eventually joined tables and I couldn’t take my eyes of the chocolat chaud that the one guy ordered. It came in a little pot and he poured it for himself. It was thick, and creamy and so rich and chocolatey; I instantly regretted that I ordered another glass of wine because I would have preferred to enjoy the chocolate as a dessert but when he saw me eyeing his hot chocolate longingly he offered me a sip and I accepted the heavenly chocolately dream.
Never in my life, even to this day have I had a hot chocolate that was quite as delicious. The french really know what they are doing and have inspired me to make a healthier, leaner and vegan version if you please. And aside from those awesome benefits to my creamy vegan version, cocoa in itself has some serious bragging rights too and to make you feel that much better about making this recipe, I’m going to share with you… Cocoa contains 700 known compounds that prevent oxidization that causes premature aging and disease. It’s high in polyphenols (protective antioxidents) such as anthocyanins, isoflavones, flavanols and favones. The flavonols protect the bodies’ cells from premature aging and reduces risk of killer diseases. Polyphenols protect the cardiovascular system by reducing bad cholesterol and prevents blood clotting. It’s also high in dietary fibre, manganese, magnesium, vitamin A, and vitamin E. It’s also low cal and low fat so feel free to sip away guilt-free. If you want to know more about the amazing benefits of cocoa click here.
I am hosting one of Meetup group and serving this hot chocolate while we play board games. It’s a tasty treat and it’s proven that we digest our meals better when in good company. 🙂
Here is the recipe (feel free to add your own toppings, cinnamon, cocoanut flakes. cocoa nibs, coconut whipped cream, and depending if you use peppermint flavour, perhaps broken candy cane for a more festive (but less heathy) treat. Sip slowly, savour each moment and enjoy your delicious, healthy drink!) I honestly enjoyed my own homemade chocolate every damn day while training for my first fitness/model search competition.
CREAMY VEGAN CHOCOLAT CHAUD
PREP TIME: 5 min
COOK TIME: 5 min
TOTAL TIME: 10 minutes
- 5 packets of stevia sugar
- ¼ cup high-quality cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons almond flower or makuna superfood powder (arrowroot starch or cornstarch will work as well)
- Pinch of pink himalayan sea salt
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essential oil or natural extract
- (optional) 2 drops DoTERRA Peppermint essential oil or 2 drops DoTerra Cardamom essetial oil
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl: stevia, cocoa powder, almond flour and sea salt
- Heat the almond milk and vanilla in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Stir frequently so it doesn’t scald or burn to the bottom.
- Add a couple tablespoons of the hot milk to the cocoa mixture and whisk until smooth to avoid clumping of cocoa in your hot chocolate.
- Pour the cocoa mixture into the milk pan, and bring to a boil for 5 minutes allowing some water to evaporate and it will thicken respectively.
- Remove from heat, and let sit for 5-10 minutes so it lowers to a drinkable temperature.
Enjoy your delicious healthy treat. Feel free to get creative and share your feedback here if you have any suggestions or found something else worked for you better, I’d love to hear it. Sharing is caring! Bon appetit!